[CLUE-Tech] using DUMP

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Sun Jan 27 21:10:49 MST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 05:06:45PM -0700, Michael Robbert wrote:
> I have considered Amanda though. I just haven't found the time or a
> compelling reason to throw out the scripts that I inherited. I'm
> getting a new server soon though and may have a need for network
> backups so that may be my reason to try amanda.
>
> * Todd A. Gibson (tgibson at augustcouncil.com) wrote:
> > I wish I could use Amanda, but it fails on my tape drive about 2/3 of
> > the time.

Amanda's nice.  It beautifully coordinates the backup of multiple
physical systems.  You can also tell it how large your stock of tapes
are, how often you want to revolve them, how many you are holding as
emergency spares, and so forth.  It will make sure to do full and
incremental backups at the correct points in time and will help you with
making sure the right tape is in at the right time.  I would sleep very
well at night if I had Amanda running on my systems--damn my
incompatible tape drive...
-TAG