[CLUE-Tech] Lousy no-good @!$#%@#$% (cracked)

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Jan 28 20:57:21 MST 2002

Sean,

I was running ipchains previously and had everything turned off except ssh,
cvs, and httpd.

After the @home --> @attbi, I just punted and bought a NAT router with a
built-in firewall (Siemens Speedstream).  It is not the fancy stateful
firewall, but for the past 2 years on my cable modem connection, I had not
been the target for an attack.  Also, since ipchains also was not stateful, I
figured a $100 router would do the trick.

Now, I can run whatever services I want on my LAN and I let the firewall keep
everything closed.  This makes it a lot easier for me, since I do not have a
SysAdmin gene (I am a programmer).  Basically, I like to plug it in and
forget about it.

I understand that folks may not want to purchase / cannot afford a hardware
firewall.  This is what is great about Linux.  Have you looked at the
diskless firewall distros?  Basically, you boot up Linux on a floppy and it
becomes the firewall between you and the 'net.  You have no HDD.  If you have
an old 486, this is a great use for it and would save you the cash cost of a
hardware NAT router.  Sorry, no URLs, but I am sure you can find them fast on
Google.

HTH-
Jeff