[CLUE-Tech] new install

Chris K. Chew chris at fenetics.com
Tue Jan 29 22:41:16 MST 2002

It might also be a bad download.

Download the md5 program, and then the checksum file from the directory
where you downloaded the mandrake ISO (if you downloaded it, that is).
Running md5 against the .iso file will tell you if the downloaded file is
complete and intact or messed up, which may cause problems similar to what
you are experiencing.

I once had a bad download during my first slackware install attempt, causing
the same error you are receiving, and blamed it on all kinds of things
before I learned about the md5 checksums and found that I had an incomplete
download.  A fresh download (from a 56k modem!) solved the problem.

You can find the md5 program in the gnu textutils package:

http://www.gnu.org/software/textutils/

or a windows executable at:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/

Good luck!