[CLUE-Tech] CLUE: DSL - PCISYS

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Jul 2 18:39:21 MDT 2002

Richard Knechtel wrote:
> Anyone having better luck with other DSL ISP's ?
> 1) Good uptimes.
> 2) good speed.
> 3) Linux friendly.
> 4) Static IP's.

I'll echo Randy's recommendation of Americanisp.  The only Linux issue
you're likely to have is if you have an internal modem.  But that may be
a Qwest issue, not an ISP issue.  Otherwise, they make no issue about
what OS you use.

You'll almost certainly get better Linux support here than from Qwest ;-)

When I signed up, amisp stated clearly that you get a static IP.  So
much so that when I dialed in I got the same IP as my DSL (which didn't
work so well).  But they fixed that quickly.  So if you call them, ask
about the IP, just to be sure.

Here are some other features I like: unlimited email accounts (not that
I use them), shell access (including ssh), short hold times.  In fact, I
think that rather than being put on hold I got voice mail and they
called me back.  Not instantly, but same day.

The problem BOF had getting dropped is definately fixed.

forethought.net seems like a good alternative based on what Matt says
(didn't he used to work there? maybe I'm confused)  But compare
features, I don't talk to tech support much.