[CLUE-Tech] Setting System Time

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Jul 3 22:54:53 MDT 2002

In April, Warren posted about a problem with his file timestamps:
http://clue.denver.co.us/pipermail/clue-tech/2002-April/003920.html

In short, date shows the correct time, but files are created with
timestamps 6 hours in the future (when localtime is MDT).

Warren, did you find a fix for this?

I've been working on a system with the same problem to no avail.  It
seems that rebooting is the next step.  Google shows nothing helpful.

It seems that the kernel has become schizophrenic about the time,
reporting one to date and another to ls.  I don't know offhand how to
see the raw time on an inode to confirm whether the timestamp is wrong
or perhaps just a bug in ls (or date).

The only new info I know is that you can see the raw time in your rtc in
/proc/rtc or /proc/drivers/rtc.  Kind of handy, you don't have to look
at the bios to see what it is.