[CLUE-Tech] Logitech optical mouse?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Jul 4 15:18:32 MDT 2002

* Dave Price (davep at kinaole.org) wrote:
> I have an optical logitech mouse that I am trying to use with Xfree-86
> (4).  It works fine under windows, but is very eratic under X;  any idea
> how I should set this up in debian woody?
>
> aloha,
> dave

The protocol you want in your XF86Config is one of several.  I use
"ImPS/2", but there is another one just for logitech.  They both seem to
work fine.  The MS intellimouse one also seems to do fine.

The other thing to look out for is GPM.  It allows console use of the
mouse.  If it is running, and you don't use the port 'gpmctl' instead of
the real PS/2 port, X and gpm will fight over the mouse.  It will behave
very strangely.

Before you start X, or if it starts automatically, from a Virtual
Console (Hit ALT-CLT-F1 to go the first one if you are in X and the
mouse is wigging out), look for the gpm daemon running.  'ps axuw' |
grep [g]pm' would do it.  If any thing shows up from that, it is
running.  If it is, alter your x-config file to use '/dev/gpmctl', and set
up gpm accordingly.  Or, if you don't use gpm, disable it.  On my
system, as root, do /etc/init.d/gpm stop'.  If you never use it, you
could uninstall it.  How do do that really depends on the distro.

Tim