[CLUE-Tech] CLUE: DSL - PCISYS

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Jul 5 11:01:18 MDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 06:29:41AM -0600, Randy Arabie wrote:

> 	- there are some measures of dB reported in the 'show int wan0' seciton,
> 		but I'm not sure which is most important.  It shows that my
> 		local attenuation is 35.5dB (Good?) and remote attenuation is
> 		31.5dB (not so Good?).

I'm not very well-versed in the precise meanings of these terms w/
respect to DSL, but my common-sense understanding of 'attenuation' is
that it means reduced strength, so in general high attenuation is bad.

My educated guess is that the dB figures are indeed indicating what's
wrong. Here are yours:

>   Local Coding Gain:          7.5dB
>   Local Transmit Power:       11.6dB
>   Local Attenuation:          35.5dB
>   Remote Attenuation:         31.5dB

And here are mine:

    Local Coding Gain:          6.5dB
    Local Transmit Power:       11.9dB
    Local Attenuation:          20.5dB
    Remote Attenuation:         17.5dB

I don't know how good a benchmark my figures are, but I'm about 1000 feet
from the Central Office and, once I got through the initial setup
nightmare, my service has always performed satisfactorily. Note the big
difference in SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio?) Margin. I have a feeling that
might be the most crucial number.

Now, if that is the problem, what do you do about it? I'll have to defer
to others on that question.
--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA