[CLUE-Tech] cable modem question

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Jul 9 10:37:09 MDT 2002

No, the modem wasn't new - but the motherboard was, so I reinstalled the
OS's like I always do, and named the computer their required AT&T name,
and just expected it to work like it always did.  Under windows, I used
their stupid USB connection, and under linux I hooked up a generic PCI
nic into the ethernet port on the modem, and I got link lights with the
cable, and when the USB was connected under windows, windows told me it
was connected and I had the little icon on the taskbar that shows the
traffic.  When I would try to renew the ip address, the modem would
blink like crazy and the PC Link light was on like usual.  I just don't
trust AT&T's authentication scheme I guess, I tried rebooting the cable
modem and the computer numberous times with no luck.  The reason I had
to reinstall is because the old board went bad about a week ago, so I
found some cheap pricewatch gear and built a new box, so I couldn't tell
you the last time the modem worked, but the last time it was used was
about a week ago.