[CLUE-Tech] kernel compile

Mark Cuny clue at stardyne.org
Tue Jul 9 13:38:25 MDT 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Mike Staver wrote:

> Alright, I just compiled a kernel with the following steps
< ... snip ...>
> [root at tunnel linux]# make install
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

The error message just means that the Makefile does not contain
instructions for a step called "install".  And usually, there isn't an
install step for the kernel (but there is one for the modules).  You
can verify this by viewing the Makefile and searching for the words
that you used after the word make followed by a colon (menuconfig:
dep: bzImage: modules: modules_install: install:).  More than likely,
you will find all of the words except for install:.  The make program
reads the user input and tries to run the specified portion of the
Makefile.

> So, I'm assuming that make modules_install and make install both didn't
> work

If you did not see any error messages for make modules_install, then
that step worked.

> - so my question is, what files should I move from the
> /usr/src/linux directory to somewhere else?  I'm assuming the vmlinuz
> file should go to the /boot directory, but I'm clueless once my make
> install command failed :(

Look at the below readme for the kernel (this assumes that you are
using LILO and not some other loader).  If you are using GRUB, you can
edit the grub configuration file in /boot/grub/grub.conf (I think that
is it, I don't have grub installed on my system here), and copy the
appropriate lines.  You do not need to re-run grub in order for it to
pick up the new kernel.

Hope this helps,

- Mark Cuny

README:
< ... snip ...>
 - In order to boot your new kernel, you'll need to copy the kernel
   image (found in .../linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage after compilation)
   to the place where your regular bootable kernel is found.

   For some, this is on a floppy disk, in which case you can copy the
   kernel bzImage file to /dev/fd0 to make a bootable floppy.

   If you boot Linux from the hard drive, chances are you use LILO
   which uses the kernel image as specified in the file
   /etc/lilo.conf.  The kernel image file is usually /vmlinuz,
   /boot/vmlinuz, /bzImage or /boot/bzImage.  To use the new kernel,
   save a copy of the old image and copy the new image over the old
   one.  Then, you MUST RERUN LILO to update the loading map!! If you
   don't, you won't be able to boot the new kernel image.

   Reinstalling LILO is usually a matter of running /sbin/lilo.
   You may wish to edit /etc/lilo.conf to specify an entry for your
   old kernel image (say, /vmlinux.old) in case the new one does not
   work.  See the LILO docs for more information.

   After reinstalling LILO, you should be all set.  Shutdown the
   system, reboot, and enjoy!

   If you ever need to change the default root device, video mode,
   ramdisk size, etc.  in the kernel image, use the 'rdev' program (or
   alternatively the LILO boot options when appropriate).  No need to
   recompile the kernel to change these parameters.

 - Reboot with the new kernel and enjoy.