[CLUE-Tech] kernel compile

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Tue Jul 9 13:29:48 MDT 2002

> make menuconfig

You might want to try 'make xconfig'. Gives you a nice interface.  I like
it.

> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install

All good. I usually make it all one command, so I can go outside and play
while it's compiling.  make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make
modules && make modules_install

> make install
> [root at tunnel linux]# make install
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

There is no 'make install'. If you are really confident and dangerous, to
a 'make bzLilo'.  Check the capitalization on lilo, though, I'm not sure.

Howver, the smart money is in making a directory for kernel images. Some
people have a separate /boot partition; I do not.  I haven't been able to
ever get that to work. So, I make a directory in / called images.  I copy
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /images/linux-kernel-name.  I
just did linux-2.5.25, so I have in images :

/images:
linux-2.5.25

Depending on if you use grub or lilo, you need to edit grub.conf or
lilo.conf to show the new configuration.  If you add another image to the
set up, if your new kernel botches, you still have the old one to rely on.
Here's mine, and I have a RH 7.2 system.  I have in this case, two images,
and then the default redhat kernel. I leave that in just in case I somehow
remove all my images.

With lilo, you edit lilo.conf (usually, just copy and paste the old lines,
and change the image name, and the 'name') and then run 'lilo -v'. That
re-runs lilo with the new configuration. With grub, just edit grub.conf
and reboot.  If something's wrong, just select a different image. If
something goes wrong with lilo, well, you better hope that doesn't happen.
Just watch for errors when you run lilo -v.

[lilo]

prompt
timeout=50
default=linux-2.4.18-3
boot=/dev/hda
message=/boot/message

image=/images/linux-2.5.25
        label=linux-2.5.25
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

image=/images/linux-2.4.18-3
        label=linux-2.4.18-3
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

[end lilo]

[grub]

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title linux-2.4.18-2
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /images/linux-2.4.18-2 ro root=/dev/hda5
title linux-2.4.18
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /images/linux-2.4.18 ro root=/dev/hda5

title linux-2.4.17-2
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /images/linux-2.4.17-2 ro root=/dev/hda5
[end grub]

I clearly haven't been using grub lately, but that's my setup.  I don't
believe I have a default in grub here, but then, I may be wrong. Same
kind of set up.