[CLUE-Tech] kernel compile

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Jul 9 14:04:44 MDT 2002

> > make menuconfig
>
> You might want to try 'make xconfig'. Gives you a nice interface.  I like
> it.

Yeah, I know - except that I'm using ssh to access the box on the east
coast from Denver :)

> > make dep
> > make bzImage
> > make modules
> > make modules_install
>
> All good. I usually make it all one command, so I can go outside and play
> while it's compiling.  make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make
> modules && make modules_install

That's cool, couldn't you also use make dep; make clean; make bzImage,
etc?  I guess I just like to do them one by one in case something goes
wrong with a step.

> > make install
> > [root at tunnel linux]# make install
> > make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
>
> There is no 'make install'. If you are really confident and dangerous, to
> a 'make bzLilo'.  Check the capitalization on lilo, though, I'm not sure.

Now, did you mean there is never a make install, or just not in this
case? I use make install all the time on my Red Hat machines, and it
moves the right files to the /boot directory, the lazy man's way of
doing it I think.  I have never done this without that step before.
Also, I'm familiar with both lilo and grub on the x86 platform.  I
didn't initially mention that this is a Mac running PPC Linux 2000, from
the now missing linuxppc.org website.  I don't know what happened to
that company, last I heard they went non-profit again.  Apparently they
disappeared all together.  So, my point is, lilo and grub don't apply
here.  I believe this machine is using bootx or yaboot, either way it's
up to the machine's owner to get that right, I'm just compiling the
kernel and trying to move all the needed files into /boot.  I'm moving
this box from the 2.2.14 kernel to 2.4.18, and I already downloaded a
new rpm of modutils, but there may be more stuff I need, who knows.
Thanks everyone for the manual moving tips, I'll give them a shot.

--

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com