[CLUE-Tech] kernel compile

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jul 9 14:20:53 MDT 2002

On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:04:44 -0600
Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

> > All good. I usually make it all one command, so I can go outside and
> > play while it's compiling.  make dep && make clean && make bzImage &&
> > make modules && make modules_install
>
> That's cool, couldn't you also use make dep; make clean; make bzImage,
> etc?  I guess I just like to do them one by one in case something goes
> wrong with a step.

The '&&' is the shell 'logical and'. It short-circuits, so if the result
of the command is false, it doesn't perform the next "test". i.e. 'do
this, and if the status is true, do the next thing'.

If I'm feeling particularly paranoid, or curious, I do them one by one:
  e.g. make dep > make_dep.log 2>&1
so I get a logfile.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5