[CLUE-Tech] Solitaire, anyone? (crypto stuff)

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Jul 16 00:33:41 MDT 2002

* Jed S. Baer (thag at frii.com) wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> Well, I finally finished reading Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon".
> Probably, most folks who find such interesting have already read it, but
> if you haven't, by all means, get a copy. So, at the end of the book is an
> appendix, reproduced here for your enjoyment:
>
>   http://www.counterpane.com/solitaire.html
>
> source code available in Perl and C, et. al.
>
> BTW, for those who haven't read the book, it's more of a historical
> fiction, which can be thoroughly enjoyed even ignoring the crypto stuff,
> which isn't really obtrusive into the plot at all.
>
> later,
> jed
> --

So is it good enough that I should take time from my busy schedule
(summer finals in a week, ack!) and finish it?  I started it a few
months back, but ran out of steam, have yet to finish it off.  Beautiful
writing though.

Unfortunately, _Snow Crash_ and _The Diamond Age_, while good books, both sort
of seemed to fizzle, to my mind.  The pages just ran out.  The plot did
wrap up, but it didn't feel very satisfying to me.

Has he gotten any better at conlcusions yet?  _Cryptonomicon_ is a lot
more pages, it is a bigger investment.

Tim