[CLUE-Tech] Moving files from one system to another

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Wed Jul 17 18:52:06 MDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 06:03:37PM -0600, bof wrote:
> I have about 6 GB of files on one system that I would like to move to
> another. Both systems have ethernet cards and I have a crossover cable.
>
> What would be the easiest way to do this?
Ethernet is definitely a faster xfer method than parallel cable - by an
order of magnitude.

If both systems running linux then you can connect them any way that you
like - ftp or nfs. - ftp is faster for a one-shot deal nfs if you plan
to move files regularly.

If the files are all in one directory ftp's mput (with confirm off) is
quick.

If you have a whole directory structure, a (compressed) tar file is
definitely the way to go (tar -cxvf tarname *) in the bottom of the
tree.

Samba is the standard tool to move / share files between windows and
linux if that is your situation; may already be installed on a modern
linux box.

HTH

aloha,
dave