[CLUE-Tech] Converting ext2 to ext3

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Thu Jul 18 05:30:53 MDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:44:59 -0600 "Warren" <warren at guano.org> wrote:
> Not sure if this has been a topic before, but how easy is it to
> convert a partition from ext2 to ext3 (and back again if necessary)?
>
> Do you use 'tune2fs -J' or 'mke2fs -J'
>
> I'm experimenting with the XOSL bootloader, and it doesn't seem to
> want to boot linux from an ext3-type partition...well, I think that
> might be the case.
>
> So, I installed /boot to an ext2-type, and it boots fine.  Now, I
> want to convert it to ext3 and see if it will still work.
>
> I could try it and see, but it's late and I'm taking the lazy way
> out and asking.

I can't answer your quetion, but if your boot manager has trouble with
ext3, it sounds like you have an excellent case for just leaving the
partition as ext2.  Since /boot is readonly most of the time, you
don't have much to gain from a journaled fs.

My $.02.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-galeon