[CLUE-Tech] making use of unused disk space

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 07:49:02 MDT 2002

--- Mark Horning <rip6 at rip6.net> wrote:

> David Anselmi wrote:
>
> > Anyway, the better solution in the long run is to use a volume manager
>
> > like LVM.  Then you can add space from anywhere on any disk to any
> > partition.  I played with it last fall and couldn't grow/shrink a
> > partition (the filesystem has to be adjusted too) reliably.  So I gave
>
> > up, but the problems may have been fixed by now.
> >
> I had similar issues recently and backed up the data, repartitioned and
> started using LVM so I could manage the space 'on the fly' as it were.

Its good to see LVM mentioned in this thread.  I gave a (VERY) whirlwind
tour of it for a KISS session some months ago.  I believe my presentation
is still on the Clue website if anyone is interested.  The two big things
to remember about LVM is:
* it has a larger vocabularly than simple fdisk, but the system itself is
very well organized - read the LVM-HOWTO, it is an excellent guide.
* LVM for reducing/expanding your filesystems is only as good as the
filesytem.  As DA pointed out above, LVM features are crippled if your
using a filesystem that cannot be grown or shrunk reliably.  I've had
success with both reiserfs and ext3.

Keith

=====
Keith E. Hellman