[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat 7.3 & Sendmail 8.11.6-15

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Jul 24 11:15:59 MDT 2002

After reading about all this blachole list subscribing, I got curious
about doing it myself.  I had tried it in the past on my box, but I had
problems because I had done a fresh install of Red Hat 6.2 on this box 2
years ago or so.  I had then upgraded it to 7.1, then 7.2, and now 7.3.
Oddly enough, I did an rpm -qa | grep sendmail today to see that there
were 3 different versions of sendmail installed!  Why the upgrade
installer didn't remove the old versions first, I'll never understand.
Anyways, that must be what was preventing me from using sendmail properly
in the past.  I always tried to edit the /etc/mail/access file to allow
relaying, and it never worked.  I then tried to modify the
/etc/sendmail.cf file to subscribe to blackhole lists to block spam.  That
also didn't work.  So, I got frustrated today and removed *all* versions
of sendmail and their corresponding config files from this machine.  There
wasn't a single sendmail file left on the box.  I then reinstalled
8.11.6-15 from the Red Hat 7.3 cds.  I then did a
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start and I figured I'd be good to go.  I
attempted to send a test message from my workstation here at work to an
"off the box" account to see if mail relaying would work.  I knew it
wouldn't because it was set up to only accept relay from localhost.  But I
was surprised to find out that I didn't get the "relaying denied" message,
my mail client just sat there trying to relay for a good minute or so,
then it say "could not find smtp server".  I thought that was odd, so I
restarted sendmail for kicks, and still got the same thing.  Does anyone
know if there are issues with 7.3 out of the box... like maybe a config
file I need to mess with first??

--
				-Mike Staver
				 staver at fimble.com