[CLUE-Tech] Tape backup logistics

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Wed Jul 24 20:43:24 MDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 06:37:27PM -0600, Dan Harris wrote:
> I've done a lot of switching of servers recently and have found the need to
> rethink my backup strategy.

> I've scoured the web and it looked like AMANDA had all the features I needed,
> however it almost drove me to tears trying to get it configured.  The
> configuration files are beyond what a sane person would want to put up with.
> I gave up after about 12 hours of futzing with it.

Amanda is definitely the way to go.  There's a fairly decent O'Reilly
book on Unix Backup & Recovery, with a good chapter on Amanda.  I believe
that chapter is online and can be downloaded from the Amanda site.
Yeah, a little inane to configure, but the Ora book walks you through
most of it.  I'll also offer what little help I might be able to give
via email.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net