[CLUE-Tech] Tape backup logistics

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jul 25 02:49:04 MDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 06:37:27PM -0600, Dan Harris wrote:
>1 - copy all the important files through a samba mount from the windows box to
>/usr/backup on the main server by running a 'cp' on the main file server

Another option is to have the local server back up to /dev/nst0, then some
time later have the web server back up with a destination of "ssh
root at tapeserver dd of=/dev/st0", and maybe just for good measure some time
later run an "mt rewind"...  So, one backup would be appended to another.

afbackup can back up over the network to a tape drive directly, so you
could use that on both machines, but just make sure you run backup
verification.  We had a problem once where a broken "mt" was causing each
successive backup to overwrite the previous one.

Sean
--
 I have a large collection of sea shells, which I keep scattered on beaches
 around the world.  Maybe you've seen it...  -- Steven Wright