[CLUE-Tech] filesystem help

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Thu Jul 25 15:13:41 MDT 2002

First of all do you know why it is full of inodes? Maybe you have some
piece of software that writes lots of small files there and if that is
the case then you're on the right track, but if you don't know why it is
filling up then you should find out and you may not need to mess with
changing it.
On the actual point of changing it, I think the best and maybe only
reliable way would be to take the system down and boot into single user
or even from alternate media (CD-ROM or floppy?). The /var filesystem is
very dynamic on a live system and you won't be able to unmount the
filesystem unless you do that. Once that is done I would think that it'd
be fairly straight forward.