[CLUE-Tech] who command, what is says

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Jul 31 18:14:14 MDT 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:

> kevin    :0       Jul 31 06:21 (console)
> ????     pts/0    Jul 31 06:21 (:0)
> root     pts/1    Jul 31 06:21 (:0)

pts means pseudo-tty.  I usually see them for network connections.  I'm
not sure what the :0 means--running X, maybe?  In that case, perhaps you
have two other windows open that are showing up.  They both show the
same login time as you.

I wouldn't be suspicious unless you see the other guy's name show up.
But even then it may be that he's logged in remotely or that some remote
connection he had died.  I used to work by opening xterm windows from a
server to my Win2k box.  Each window had a separate login (with an xterm
and a bash process, at least).  When the X server would die those
processes would still be around.  I assume that the TCP connection would
eventually time out and everything would get cleaned up, but I usually
killed the processes myself.