[CLUE-Tech] qwest, msn & dsl am I doomed?

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sun Jun 2 00:17:43 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Anselmi" <anselmi at americanisp.net>
To: <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] qwest, msn & dsl am I doomed?

> Matt Gushee wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 07:17:37PM -0400, jeremy wrote:
> > >
> > >       I don't have the $$ to switch isp's right now.   If any one has
any ideas
> > > drop a line. It's ok to say "you are doomed"
> >
> > How much money do you think it takes to switch? Last year I got DSL, was
> > very dissatisfied with my first provider, and switched after 2 months.
The
> > setup fee with my new ISP was minimal ($10 or $20, I guess), and my
> > monthly rate went down.
>
> When I switched to Americanisp they didn't charge me.  Just told Qwest
> to switch and it happened (didn't take too long, either).  Then Qwest
> charged me $30 to do their piece--sigh.
>
> BTW, MSN doesn't control this, Qwest does.  So if MSN causes Qwest to
> take a long time to release your account they must be in cahoots (well,
> we knew that didn't we?)

MSN is a Qwest volume provider.  Unless they've changed in the past few
months (and they may have) the user had to cancel through MSN.  In the early
days of this arrangement, one of my customers had ordered MSN on 11/7/01 and
canceled on 11/15/01.  MSN did not release his account back to Qwest until
1/21/02.  No hardware was ever received.  We went live with him 2/13/02,
nearly four months later.  Unlike the 5 biz days to change providers, I
understand that switching from MSN is now down to 10 biz days, but that
standard of service wasn't achieved until the end of March.

> My d/l programs routinely report around 20kbps downloads, or less, and I
> have 640k d/l speed.  But I don't worry about it--I don't know the
> framing of what goes down the phone line, so I don't know how much
> overhead I have.  Then there are inefficiencies in the IP algorythms,
> and maybe the server isn't sending any faster than that.  So I'm not
> sure you'll see much better in any case.  (I would like to learn more
> about this and how to profile a connection to find the bottlenecks, but
> I haven't had time yet.)

Depends on the sites as far as I can tell.  I see everything from 15K to 60K
on 640k DSL, depending on the server, general Internet health, and route.

> So my conclusion is that everything is a-ok.  Of course I'm naive about
> this stuff so please educate me.

I agree, he's got normal service.

Frank