[CLUE-Tech] Floppy Install of RedHat 5.0 on 386, 80mb HD, no CDROM

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jun 5 07:49:55 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 07:01, Keith Christian wrote:
> Anyone know of a how-to or other info explaining how to install from
> floppies onto an older 386?  I have a RedHat 5.0 CD but the computer
> has no CD, no network card, and is an older 386 (another reason I'm
> going to use an old distribution since some newer kernels require 486
> or Pentium class CPU's.)
>
> Boot and Root disks work fine on the machine but now, what's the best
> way to install a minimal Linux system using floppies?  It does have a
> serial port, are there any install procedures that use that?

Hi Keith,

Do you have any sort of network connection?  I've had good luck
installing older versions of Red Hat using the network.  You just boot
from a floppy, choose a network install, and choose an FTP or HTTP
server that can provide the correct RH version.  You don't even need a
"real" 'Net connection--it can be just a crossover cable to an adjacent
Linux box thats serving up the information.  I can provide more details
if you need help with that approach...

But is there any chance that you could obtain a system thats just a
*little* bit newer?  You didn't say what the intended purpose of the
machine is, but I'll wager that you'll have a much better experience
doing it if you can find some (even slightly) newer hardware.

Perhaps someone in the group has an older box lying around that they
don't want?

Also, I think I have an old IDE CDROM that you can have.  If I can find
it, I'll bring it to the next meeting.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD    |  Email:       ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu