[CLUE-Tech] problems getting X to start

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Fri Jun 7 16:34:13 MDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 02:47:27PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:

> My first idea is that you should provide more specifics about your video
> card and X configuration. Maybe the above has an obvious meaning to
> somebody who's seen it before, but I haven't, and there are at least five
> million possible reasons for X failing to start, one of them being that
> XFree86 doesn't support your video card.

Matt,

I thought I had.  I am running a vesa framebuffer config ...

Now it seems that I can get X to start, but only thru the XDM login, and
NOT if i choose KDE.  KDE seems to try to start, and then right when it
says 'configuring hardware' it bombs back to an XDM login screen.

Black box now runs okay (from XDM).  I do not usually use XDM, and may
remove it in favor of a console/startx config.

aloha,
dave