[CLUE-Tech] Strange file changes

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Jun 10 08:05:53 MDT 2002

Kurt Sturm wrote:

> Then later in the day I came back and the shortcuts that I added to
> the menu were gone!! I went back and looked at the files and they
> were just as they were before I edited them!!

It would be nice to have some documentation on the automatic
'maintenance' that Mandrake seems to do.  Anyone have any links?  Mike
B, maybe there's something in the box you got.

You can try poking around a little and see if there is an approved place
for user specific settings that won't get undone.  That's more art than
science though.

Part of the issue is that the config files you might want to edit are
installed by the package manager and may be overwritten by other
packages.  Debian seems to handle this well--points out that you changed
your config and asks which version to use.  And it lets you see a diff
so you know what to expect.

I have Mandrake installed right now, but I was planning on trying Debian
instead--I use that for servers and I should see how the desktop stuff
works.