[CLUE-Tech] Grepping bzipped files

Dale Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Tue Jun 11 08:05:48 MDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 21:00, Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> I'm a packrat when it comes to e-mail. I save *everything*, probably way
> longer than I should. And when stuff gets more than a couple of months
> old, I bzip2 it to save space. But now and then I need to find some info
> in an old mailbox, and often I don't know which one.

Ever consider using glimpse?  I am pretty that glimpse can handle bzip2
files (I know it can handle gzip, and can accept custom handlers for
just about any other type of file).

Using glimpse you can index your email or just about anything else on
your 'puter.   Nice for building a massive document index.  Just
remember that cron is your friend and you should really save your
indexing for the wee hours of the morning (or around noon for you night
owls :-))!

BTW, has any played with remembrance lately (or at all).  Remembrance is
an indexing program which integrates with emacs to show relevant text
based on the current buffer.  Kind of like realtime, always active
keyword searching.  I saw Thad Starner give a talk about wearable
computers once and the remembrance agent was one of the topics that
stuck with me the most.

http://rhodes.www.media.mit.edu/people/rhodes/RA/

-Dale

--
Now playing:
02-storytime

Better to have endured moments of sheer terror, than to have died having
lived life a coward.

A good solution now is better than a perfect solution tomorrow.
- From debian-curiosa

Payin' the bills with my mad programming skills.
- Weird Al