[CLUE-Tech] ldconfig & ld question.

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Jun 12 20:13:10 MDT 2002

anselmi at americanisp.net wrote:

> When compiling a particular program, the linker is invoked as ld -lXi and it
> tries to find libXi.so but not libXi.so.6 (if I make the libXi.so link by hand,
> the linker finds it and dies on the next library).

Well, I got the compile done by making a libXi.so link (and 2 others).
I also realized that ld doesn't use the cache file created by ldconfig
(that's for runtime linking, the library paths for ld are also set on
the command line).

There were several other libraries named and they didn't have any
problems (luckily) but I didn't look to see whether they had .so links.
A random look at libraries showed that a few did and most didn't.

Matt suggested that I should run ldconfig after making a new link.  I
don't think I did and the program ran fine, but I might have in the
course of playing around.

Unfortunately the ldconfig man page doesn't really explain what it
does--at least in the detail needed for this question.  Guess I'll have
to look at the source some day.

Dave