[CLUE-Tech] my ongoing quest

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Jun 13 18:58:21 MDT 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

> 1) The calendar feature.  I like sendmail for linux a lot, and know it
> well.  Is there a way to set up a calendar feature with sendmail using
> netscape messenger?  Or is there some other mail client that people like
> for windows that plays nice with a linux mail server?

Mike B. will chime in RSN and tell you that Binari, SuSE mail (whatever
they call it), and OpenMail (now owned by Samsung) will do group ware
for you.  Oh yeah, Lotus Notes/Domino runs on Linux too.  I think none
of those are Open Source.

I have used stand alone calendars on AIX and Solaris, so perhaps there
is something like that that's Open Source.  As usual, a little bash or
perl should be enough to connect the calendar and email.  I'd be
surprised if this doesn't exist, but I haven't looked.

I hear that Palm has its own desktop that has a calendar you can use on
Windows.  And Palm syncs with Linux.  So even if not everyone has a
Palm, maybe you could use that tool.

> My only other major issue is this: I still have all the boxes on our
> network authenticating against this stupid Windows 2000 Active Directory
> server.  So, I'd have to set up this new mail server so that sendmail
> knows which accounts have access to it and all that.  Has anyone done
> this before?

Samba can be a PDC.  As of 9 months ago it didn't do much with AD, but
it might now.  Even if it can't be an account server, maybe the client
tools can do what you want.  There are also two Samba projects (is the
other Samba-ng?) and the fork seemed very interested in AD support so be
sure to look at both.

Sorry I don't have a shrink-wrapped answer.