[CLUE-Tech] Sharing Windows 98 files with Samba-lite under VMware 3.1.1 and RH7.2

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Jun 14 21:47:51 MDT 2002

bof wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I trying to share some of the files on my Linux system using Samba and
> VMware. I'm running RH 7.2 as the host and Windows 98 as the guest under
> VMware-workstation 3.1.1. My computer name is Bill and the directory
> containing the files I want to share is /home/bof/files. When Windows 98
> loads, I can see Bill under network neighborhood, but when I click it,
> nothing comes up.

Sorry I don't have any vmware experience to share with you.

The only obvious thing from your post is that you say that Win98 starts
with share level access control, but you have user level in smb.conf.
Then you switch Win98 to user level and smb.conf to share level.  Did
you try share level in both places?  If that doesn't work...

How does networking work generally with the guest?  Can it talk to other
local or remote machines?  Can it talk to the host using telnet or ftp
or something?  That might show a network problem and save you looking at
Samba.

Do you have any other machines?  Can your guest OS connect to shares on
them (especially if they run Windows)?  Can they connect to the Samba
share on your host OS?  Can they connect to shares on your guest OS?

This is a tricky setup.  My gut feel is that you should get the Samba
piece working between your host OS and another Win machine.  Then deal
with the guest OS.  Running a sniffer on the host-guest network
interface might help too, but only if you're comfortable with it.

Since your networking is complicated by vmware, try to understand what
actually goes on.  You have vmnet1 and vmnet8, do you know why there are
two and how they differ?

Good luck!