[CLUE-Tech] odd ftp

charlie oriez coriez at oriez.org
Fri Jun 21 06:27:46 MDT 2002

I run ftp at the console/command level since it is easier to manuver around
directorys.  Ever since upgrading to Mandrake 8.2 last saturday, I get the
following odd responses.  Note that I then proceed to login and do my
processing without further processing.  It looks like FTP is sending some
extra pre login command lines.  How do I stop it?  First one is a freeBSD
server.  Second one is running something from an older version of Red Hat.

sample 1
[coriez at localhost coriez]$ ftp oriez.org
Connected to oriez.org.
220 ra.nilenet.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
(here prompts for UID and password)

sample 2
[coriez at localhost coriez]$ ftp rmc.sierraclub.org
Connected to rmc.sierraclub.org.
220 www.rmc.sierraclub.org FTP server (Version wu-2.5.0(1) Tue Sep 21
16:48:12 EDT 1999) ready.
530 Please login with USER and PASS.

charles oriez          coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
"You want us to hit delete.  A blocking list is basically a diesel delete
key.  A blocking list is the bulk delete response to unwanted bulk email.
When we use a blocking list, we are hitting delete, as you ask us to
do.  Why do you object?"  -- David Canzi