[CLUE-Tech] Newbie help on X windows

Todd Williams hp205ctl at hotpop.com
Wed Jun 26 12:05:45 MDT 2002

> Gary Threlkeld wrote:
>
> I'm trying to open an X-window on one machine from another  - the machines are networked together via a router.  What
> I am trying to do is to only have to use one display monitor to be able to access both machines without using
> something like an A/B switch.  Wading thru the X-window documentation but I'm getting lost in detail!
>
> Call the two machines Tom (server RH 7.3) & Dick (workstation RH 7.3).
>
> 1) I think I need to disable the automatic startup on Dick (workstation) to avoid going directly into KDE (maintaining
> the option of opening manually).

Automatic startup?  is that some auto-login thingy or do you mean the standard X/KDE/Gnome login screen (xdm/kdm/gdm)?

> 2) I want to establish a KDE session on Tom (server) initiated from Dick (workstation).
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions as to how to start???

Look at "vnc" as a possible solution, although one of the following may do the job just as well.

Do you need the full X/KDE to be running on Tom?
Can you just initiate clients on Tom to display on the X session on Dick?
if so try this :
Dick>  xhost +Tom			(allow x clients on Tom to display to Dick's X)
Tom>  export DISPLAY=Dick:0.0		(tell Tom to display to Dick)
Tom>  xproggy &				(start whatever x program you need...)

Could you initiate an X session on Tom with the DISPLAY set to Dick:1 ?
I think this is possible, and you would then have X/KDE/Dick on virtual console 7 and X/KDE/Tom on virtual console 8
(assuming a standard Redhat setup...)
Disclaimer: I have not tried this...

Todd Williams