[CLUE-Tech] Newbie help on X windows

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Jun 26 18:21:58 MDT 2002

* Gary Threlkeld (gthrelk at attbi.com) wrote:
> Hi Everyone -
>
> I'm trying to open an X-window on one machine from another  - the machines are networked together via a router.  What I am trying to do is to only have to use one display monitor to be able to access both machines without using something like an A/B switch.  Wading thru the X-window documentation but I'm getting lost in detail!
>
> Call the two machines Tom (server RH 7.3) & Dick (workstation RH 7.3).
>
> 1) I think I need to disable the automatic startup on Dick (workstation) to avoid going directly into KDE (maintaining the option of opening manually).
>
> 2) I want to establish a KDE session on Tom (server) initiated from Dick (workstation).

I would go the easy route first.  Open an xterm on the 'headed' station,
and then SSH to the 'headless' station.  Make sure that 'ForwardX11'
option is enabled in SSH.  Then, you will be able to open any X
applications on the 'headed' machine, but they will be running (except
the display) on the 'headless.

Now, it is possible to set up XDM on the 'headed' machine, and have it
open a full-fledged X session for the 'headless' machine.  However, I
have tried this, read many, many pages of documentation, and never been
able to get it to work.  Supposedly, you can have XDM present you some
kind of chooser to let you decide which machine to log into, so that you
never have to open an X session (except for XDM) on the 'headed'
machine, and you can just go straight to the 'headless' machine.  But, I
have never gotten that to fly.  But all the docs I have read say it is
possible.  Go figure. Maybe some X guru is on the list and could
enlighten us :-)

HTH,
Tim