[CLUE-Tech] Newbie help on X windows

Jef Barnhart jef at batky-howell.com
Thu Jun 27 08:33:39 MDT 2002

Try this.

$ X :1 - query headless

I have used this one for a while. The thing that will hang you up is if xdmcp is off. Check the config file for a line that shuts off remote access. In gdm, the gnome version of xdm, it has the following lines.

[xdmcp]
Enable=true <===( This is the line that says that it is ok to accept remote connections.
HonorIndirect=true
MaxPending=4
MaxPendingIndirect=4
MaxSessions=16
MaxWait=30
MaxWaitIndirect=30
Port=177

For kdm I do not know where to look for that file. You may have a kdm setup util that will allow remote connections.

Now for one of the problems that this introduces:
If you have the machine on the internet or a network that is not trusted, you give them a nice gui to start to work from.

Jef