[CLUE-Tech] Qwest, DSL and Linux/BSD?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Jun 26 22:40:38 MDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 09:51:44PM -0600, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> What kind of tips on getting set up with DSL and Linux/BSD can you folks
> offer?

1. When you have problems, and the Qwest tech support people are even
   more moronic than you could have imagined, try to remain calm ;-)

> I'd really hate to get stuck with using Windoze as my connection box
> because Qwest gives me a WinModem for DSL.

They offer a choice of connection devices; don't know exactly what they
are this year, but last year you could get a <something> that you install
internally in one computer (and may only work w/ Windows) or a Cisco 678
"modem" --which is really a mini-router. You want the latter; with that
plus an ethernet hub and a few cables, you're good to go. The only hard
part is that they don't supply a configuration interface for Linux, so
for whatever setup is required, you need to use Minicom and read between
the lines of the instructions.

> Also, what's the deal with MSN
> being the provider if you are using DSL? Is that only if Qwest is the ISP?

Last year, Qwest got out of the residential ISP business, and switched
all their qwest.net DSL customers over to MSN. You can still choose
whatever ISP you want, just as before ... though you may have to work a
little harder to make it happen.

> If so, can anyone recommend a good ISP to use with DSL?

I've been using foreThought.net for about a year and have been very
satisfied with them. They are Linux-friendly, have very competent
technical staff, they keep the lines up, and--amazingly--they actually
return phone calls.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA