[CLUE-Tech] Sybase versions

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Jun 28 10:35:53 MDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:39:17 -0600
Dan Harris <coronadh at coronasolutions.com> wrote:

> The main feature I'd hate to lose is the automatic database sizing.  As
> DB's grow on MSSQL, it automatically grows the database.  In older
> versions you had to monitor how much space was left on "the device" and
> expand it manually.. that was really annoying.

Well, no help with Sybase, but automatic database sizing can be a bad
thing. And, it just moves the problem to a different area anyway. Oracle
has an autoextend feature which I never used. Simple reason is that if you
autoextend to the limits of a partition or disk, then what do you do? If
you get an error saying you can't do an insert or an update because you've
run out of allocation (but you've been a smart DBA and left yourself some
slack), you manually extend, and know you need to find more storage. No
downtime. Yeah, if you have hot-swap backplane, you can plug in more disk
drives, and you might even have one handy, but the thing is, you either
monitor your database size, or you monitor your partition free space - if
you want to know when you're getting close to running out of room.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5