[CLUE-Tech] Sybase versions

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Jun 28 15:15:04 MDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:50:09 -0600
"Warren" <warren at guano.org> wrote:

> Dan Harris <coronadh at coronasolutions.com> wrote:
>
>  > On Friday 28 June 2002 10:35 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>  >> Well, no help with Sybase, but automatic database sizing can be a
>  >> bad thing.
>  >
>  > In my experiences, it's more of a good thing than a bad thing.
>
> I agree with Jed.  I'd turn off autoextend in Oracle and just keep a
> close watch on what it was doing.  I'd manually expand the datafiles
> when I needed to, or was going to import a lot of data.

Score! ;-)

Oh, BTW, having never been a DBA on a Sybase box, I don't actually know
how easy/hard it is to deal with these sorts of things. I was just using
Oracle terminology. I'm really wondering what the possibilites are in
PostgreSQL for these sorts of config and mgmt issues - I haven't dug into
the DBA aspects of it.

--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5