[CLUE-Tech] Qwest, DSL and Linux/BSD?

Dennis Pickering dcp at hps.com
Sun Jun 30 22:31:33 MDT 2002

My experience is old but may help. I had qwest (uswest then) in 1999-2000
with the cisco 675, dynamic IP, etc.
Someone will surely update this info for me.

>1. How "dynamic" is your IP if you don't pay for a static one? Ever
>sincethe changeover from @Home to AT&T, my so-called "dynamic" IP has not
>changed

Yes, the dhcp type IP assigners tend to keep the same IP for the same
hardware. Eventually it will change after some ISP reboot or outage.

>Also, does anyone here have any troubles with
>being always-on? I don't want to be always dialing and getting dropped and
>such...I want it to be always on, if possible. I've heard that with certain
>plans from Qwest, they drop the connection after a set amount of time. Is
>this true?

I was never dropped and it was "always" on (the 675 powered on) for days.
No problem being always on. I'm on qwest dsl with the braindamaged MSN and
their Arescom modem and it stays on 24x7.

>2. Is the Cisco 678 easy to set up for certain incoming services like SSH?
>Do you just forward to a box that handle SSH?

I did that for port 80 on the 675. Had to read carefully but once I get it,
it was easy. (Hopefully the 678 has a friendly web interface with (pinholing)

>3. What order of calls did you make: preferred ISP, and then Qwest, or vice
>versa?

I don't have a simple answer. If it's a problem, if the "DSL" light is on
then Qwest has done their part, call the ISP. The DSL is qwest and the
IP/internet connection is the ISP's responsibility.

Dennis