[CLUE-Tech] (In)Stability of X?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Tue Mar 5 21:19:54 MST 2002

I've read people's(usually pro-Microsoft folks) comments on Linux/BSD and
they claim that, while the kernels are stable, X seizes up more than, say,
W2K. These are usually in discussions about Linux's chance on the desktop.

I've been using W2K on the job and a bit at home for nearly two years now.
In my anecdotal experience, it seizes up more. Granted, I spend more hours
on the computer at work than my computer at home, but at home, my primary
desktop is FreeBSD 4.4/XFree86 4.1.0/KDE 2 (2.2?) and I have *yet* to have
it seize up in X - in fact, I've checked my uptime and I've been up 24 days
(I don't log out of X).

Anyway, I guess my question is - has anyone else seen X lock up in new(ish)
versions? What apps/window manager were you running?

BTW - the latest little quirk I've noticed in the W2K machine I've
"inherited" from the last guy - Photoshop 5.5 will, during certain
operations, just reboot the machine!!!

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome