[CLUE-Tech] (In)Stability of X?

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 21:43:58 MST 2002

I've experienced a strange quirk running a 2.2 kernel on RH 6.2, default
gnome install.  I was able to freeze up the machine when I was running a
bleeding edge version of gvim.  This was around 8-9 months ago.

Since then, I've upgraded gvim (on the 6.2 machine, still in use at work),
and the problem has gone away.

I've also been running 2.4 + same gvim version + gnome from SuSE 7.2 and
it's been flawless; flawless again is my lil' notebook running SuSE 7.2,
X4, bleeding gvim using X11 widgets.

All in all, I think the above is the first instability I've had in X since
the pre 2.0 days; your post made me realize such, and so I mention here.

--- Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at attbi.com> wrote:
> I've read people's(usually pro-Microsoft folks) comments on Linux/BSD
> and
> they claim that, while the kernels are stable, X seizes up more than,
> say,
> W2K. These are usually in discussions about Linux's chance on the
> desktop.
>
> I've been using W2K on the job and a bit at home for nearly two years
> now.
> In my anecdotal experience, it seizes up more. Granted, I spend more
> hours
> on the computer at work than my computer at home, but at home, my
> primary
> desktop is FreeBSD 4.4/XFree86 4.1.0/KDE 2 (2.2?) and I have *yet* to
> have
> it seize up in X - in fact, I've checked my uptime and I've been up 24
> days
> (I don't log out of X).
>
> Anyway, I guess my question is - has anyone else seen X lock up in
> new(ish)
> versions? What apps/window manager were you running?
>
> BTW - the latest little quirk I've noticed in the W2K machine I've
> "inherited" from the last guy - Photoshop 5.5 will, during certain
> operations, just reboot the machine!!!
>
> --
> Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
> ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome
> f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgmmng.

=====
Keith E. Hellman
kehellman at yahoo.com