[CLUE-Tech] (In)Stability of X?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 5 21:50:11 MST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I've read people's(usually pro-Microsoft folks) comments on Linux/BSD and
> they claim that, while the kernels are stable, X seizes up more than, say,
> W2K. These are usually in discussions about Linux's chance on the desktop.

I'd really like to know where they're getting this. Sounds like
classic FUD to me.

> Anyway, I guess my question is - has anyone else seen X lock up in new(ish)
> versions? What apps/window manager were you running?

I've had X lock up maybe four or five times in the last
three years. And that's running X on several different
machines, including a laptop with an ATI card, a Voodoo 3
and a Matrox G450.

I have had X become a little sluggish because of some
Netscape weirdness, but that's about it. I typically have
uptimes of 40+ days for my desktop. It'd probably be higher,
but I do turn off my machines when I won't be home for
more than a day or two.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net