[CLUE-Tech] (In)Stability of X?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Mar 6 00:22:41 MST 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 01:19:27AM -0700, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> > 133, 128M of RAM, S3 Trio 64 video card. I have very rarely had X lock
> > up or even behave weirdly on this machine. Now, I'm running XFree86
> > 3.3.6 -- I tried to install 4.1 a couple months ago, but found out it
> > didn't support my video card except in lo-res VGA mode ... not sure I
> > understand that ...
>
> There is that. Some video cards are not quite as well supported as
> others -- let's remember that the guys writing drivers for XFree
> are often in the dark, not having the benefit of the full specs
> of the equipment they're writing drivers/servers for.

No, that's not it. S3 Trios are old ... and I have the impression they
were *everywhere* in their heyday. And they are supported fine under
XFree86 3.x. What I'm afraid of is that maybe they were kind of hard
to write drivers for even with specs, and the XFree86 team thought they
weren't worth supporting anymore.

Hmm ... wonder if I should buy a new computer (or just a new vid card)
one of these days.

Not-quite-ready-to-write-my-own-video-driversly yours,
--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com