[CLUE-Tech] lm_sensors

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Mar 12 11:01:48 MST 2002

Yeah, I've tried running this before, and here is what happens:
[root at fimble staver]# /usr/sbin/sensors-detect
Illegal hexadecimal digit 'P' ignored at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line
801, <INPUTFILE> line 2.
Illegal hexadecimal digit 'r' ignored at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line
801, <INPUTFILE> line 2.
Illegal hexadecimal digit 'p' ignored at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line
801, <INPUTFILE> line 7.
 This program will help you to determine which I2C/SMBus modules you
need to
 load to use lm_sensors most effectively.
 You need to have done a `make install', issued a `depmod -a' and made
sure
 `/etc/conf.modules' (or `/etc/modules.conf') contains the appropriate
 module path before you can use some functions of this utility. Read
 doc/modules for more information.
 Also, you need to be `root', or at least have access to the
/dev/i2c[-]* files
 for some things. You can use prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh to create these /dev
files
 if you do not have them already.
 If you have patched your kernel and have some drivers built-in you can
 safely answer NO if asked to load some modules. In this case, things
may
 seem a bit confusing, but they will still work.

 We can start with probing for (PCI) I2C or SMBus adapters.
 You do not need any special privileges for this.
 Do you want to probe now? (YES/no): YES
Probing for PCI bus adapters...
Use driver `i2c-viapro' for device 00:07.3: VIA Technologies VT 82C596
Apollo ACPI
Probe succesfully concluded.

 We will now try to load each adapter module in turn.
Load `i2c-viapro' (say NO if built into your kernel)? (YES/no): YES
Can't exec "modprobe": No such file or directory at
/usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 2333, <STDIN> line 2.
 Do you now want to be prompted for non-detectable adapters? (yes/NO):
NO
 To continue, we need module `i2c-dev' to be loaded.
 If it is built-in into your kernel, you can safely skip this.
 i2c-dev is not loaded. Do you want to load it now? (YES/no): YES
Can't exec "modprobe": No such file or directory at
/usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 2377, <STDIN> line 4.

 We are now going to do the adapter probings. Some adapters may hang
halfway
 through; we can't really help that. Also, some chips will be double
detected;
 we choose the one with the highest confidence value in that case.
 If you found that the adapter hung after probing a certain address, you
can
 specify that address to remain unprobed. If you have a PIIX4, that
often
 includes addresses 0x69 and/or 0x6a.
Couldn't open /proc/bus/i2c?!? at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 2405,
<STDIN> line 4.

Seems to me something is not right here, but I don't know where to begin
trying to correct whatever seems to be the problem. When I run sensors,
I get this:

[root at fimble staver]# sensors
Can't access /proc file

And yes, I do have the stock redhat kernel, 2.4.9-31smp to be exact, and
I believe I have the correct rpms installed.