[CLUE-Tech] newbie question about libgtk

Charlie Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Tue Mar 12 16:43:15 MST 2002

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 10:46, you wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:49:47AM -0700, Charlie Oriez wrote:
> > a number of routines, including but not limited to the
> > harddrake-text routine in my boot, try to use
> > /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0 which is a symbolic link to
> > libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1, also in /usr/lib
>
> 'harddrake-text'? What the bejeezus is that?

i suspect it does something at the point where the boot decides
whether I have new hardware that needs to be identified.

> M.J. Hammel has given some good advice, but I get the sense there
> may be something else going on.
>
> > when i do a  ls -lact libgtk-1.2* the names of both modules are
> > blinking in red on the symbolic module line.  Methinks that is
> > relevant, since that is unique to this module.
>
> Could you clarify what you mean by 'module'?

library, in this case

> > What am I seeing, and what is the fix?
>
> If I'm not mistaken, blinking red indicates a dangling symlink --
> i.e., the real file that the symlink points to either doesn't exist
> or isn't in the expected location. Then again, I don't pay much
> attention to those colors, so I could be wrong.

yep

>   $ ldd /usr/bin/program-that-uses-shared-libs

this one nailed it for me.  I was getting not found on the final
library and the symbolic link, and took a closer look.  the symbolic
link was in fact pointing to libgtk-1.2.co.0.9.1 and that does not
exist.

I suspect a typo, because when I created an additional symbolic link:

[root at localhost lib]# ln -s libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1 libgtk-1.2.co.0.9.1

my problems went away

mind running that ldd command against freecell, which seems to use
that library, and tell me whether it uses a real libgtk-1.2.co.0.9.1
which I need to restore, or I should change the original symbolic
link to point to libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1

odd that this should just crop up.  I haven't installed anything
recently on the linux side of my box.  I did upgrade from Win98 to
Win2k on the windows side and have been busy recovering from that.
Win2k decided that my modem was now on com2 instead of com4, and
linux then lost track of my modem and threw me into kudzu to talk
about it.

tia

--
Charles Oriez    39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**