[CLUE-Tech] ktelnet

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Mar 18 14:39:55 MST 2002

Charlie Oriez wrote:
> I'm running ktelnet v0.7b1 (KDE 2.1.1) which I got with Mandrake v8.0
> when I enter ktelnet from the console command line I get
>
> [root at localhost /root]# ktelnet
> Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".

I don't believe this error has anything to do with your ktelnet
problem.  This message indicates that the RENDER extension is not
active in your X server.  You can use the xdpyinfo command to
verify this.  A lot of KDE apps use this extension for antialiasing
fonts as well as some windows operations.  I've read that you can
get this message to go away by going into your KDE control panel,
look & feel, fonts and unselectiing the antialiased fonts option.
There's another place in KDE, I can't tell you where off hand, that
allows you to specify how many resources KDE will use based on your
processor speed.  I found that when I increased this value the
RENDER extension was activated.

> I get the GUI, but when I click on connect I get:
> Unknown child process xxxx died

You might try kicking off the ktelnet from the command line using
strace.  It will list out ktelnet's system calls in your console and
might give you a better clue as to what's happening when its child
processes die off.

Lynn