[CLUE-Tech] cdparanoia and ripping CDs with Linux

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Tue Mar 19 21:00:58 MST 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:

>Mark Horning wrote:
>
>>Definitely the size factor. MP3's are much smaller. I've been able to
>>put ZZ Top's first
>>8 albums encoded at 320kbps (high quality encode) onto one 700MB cdrom.....
>>

>When I pull the tracks off of the CD, is it a direct pull off, i.e. it's
>CD quality?
>
>Then I would encode it to high quality encode to ensure CD quality,
>right?
>
>Kevin

I don't know if it's CD quality coming from CDDA to WAV but I believe it's
comparable. When encoding, I've noticed a big difference from a 128kbps
encoded file to a 192kbps or higher encode. I guess a lot of it depends
on how
we hear. The bladeenc site gives good information concerning this kind of
stuff. I like 256kbps or (preferably) 320kbps. The higher bitrates
capture more
frequencies is kinda how I understand it.
   If you want to really expand your collection of songs I highly recommend
checking out the newsgroups and do a search for mp3. I've collected probably
20g worth of music from the many different news groups. People put whole
albums, collections, etc. out there.

http://bladeenc.mp3.no/
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1970
alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.rock.full-album (I'm downloading some Kid Rock and

 Rush as I type....)

The best newsreader for downloading this kind of stuff is PAN. You can
set it
to just see the complete thread and download it. I'm using version 0.11.2.

Mark

--

Mark Horning
rip6 at rip6.net