[CLUE-Tech] cdparanoia and ripping CDs with Linux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Mar 19 22:00:50 MST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:00:58 -0700
Mark Horning <rip6 at rip6.net> wrote:

> >When I pull the tracks off of the CD, is it a direct pull off, i.e.
> >it's CD quality?
> >
> >Then I would encode it to high quality encode to ensure CD quality,
> >right?
> >
> >Kevin
> >
> I don't know if it's CD quality coming from CDDA to WAV but I believe
> it's comparable. When encoding, I've noticed a big difference from a
> 128kbps encoded file to a 192kbps or higher encode. I guess a lot of it
> depends on how we hear.

It will be CD quality using CD paranoia, or other track-ripping programs.
The reason being that they just copy the data directly from the CD, and
stick the appropriate wav audio header on the files (default behaviour).
You could, if you wanted to, have your sound card or CD player send analog
audio to your soundcard to be converted back into digital, but that would
be silly, and would add noise.

--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."