[CLUE-Tech] OT: DSL QoS Revisited

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Tue Mar 19 10:19:21 MST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:41:16 -0700 Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com>
wrote:> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 08:21:57AM -0700, Randy Arabie wrote:
> >I've had my Qwest DSL service for almost three months now.  My
> >opinion is the service is adequate, but not as reliable as AT&T
> >Broadband was for me.
>
> Ignoring the week or two that your cable modem was down during the
> Excite at Home issues, eh?  ;-)
>
> We have one of the older DSL lines (with the Cisco 675), and it's been
> super reliable.  There have hardly been any outages in the 2 or 3
> years we've had it.  Most of them have been caused by our ISP doing
> maintenance in the early mornings...
>
> We recently got another DSL line, this time it is running CAP and uses
> the 678.  This one has been much less reliable.  It was down for 12
> hours the other day because of the QWest OC-48 outage in down-town
> Denver, and then our up-stream ISP on that line was also having lots
> of problems with their router...
>
> In general, I'd have to say that our older DSL line has been much more
> reliable than the cable modem, ignoring the 2 weeks we were without
> cable modem because of Excite.  I think we've had a couple other
> outages on the cable service in about 6 months.
>
> Though it is nice to be able to grab the Mandrake 8.2 ISOs at
> 166KB/sec for only $135/month.  The older Excite service I thought was
> better though...

I've never had any trouble with ATT cable service.  The outage created
when @home decided to go belly up instead of meeting their commitments
doesn't count; the isp was down, the cable wasn't.  The occasional brief
outage was due to @home, in my opinion.  I could access the internet,
but the mail and dsn servers were up and down several times a day.

A few have commented that the service is a little slower now that @attbi
is the isp, but I haven't noticed much difference.

Not that I have any choice:  Southeast Aurora is too far from a central
office to support DSL.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
Gentoo_rc6-15 2.4.17 - xfce + sylpheed + mozilla