[CLUE-Tech] Preparing for RH7.2

Michael Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Thu Mar 21 22:47:15 MST 2002

Jed,
What are you upgrading from? I was watching the beta list before 7.2
came out and there were some similar comments about packages missing,
although not necesarily the same as yours. Red Hat commented that they
deprecated a bunch of packages earlier than 7.1 -> 7.2. They also got
rid of powertools which a lot of people didn't like as that is where a
lot of the packages in question were. I don't have RedHat booted right
now so I can't look up your particular questions right now, but your
assumptions/questions look fairly accurate. I personally wouldn't worry
about it too much, none of those look too out of the ordinary so there
will be some equivalent available. Hope somebody else can provide a
little more info for you.
About the kernel config, I have wanted the same thing for some time. I
recently built a custom kernel then ran "make mrproper" which apparently
removed the .config. I was pretty mad. On the other hand unless you have
some odd harware or really want to clean things up for a smaller kernel
I'd just stick with the RedHat stock kernel as it has pretty much
everything you're going to need.

--
Michael "Murph" Robbert
System Administrator for Math/CS