[CLUE-Tech] Preparing for RH7.2

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Mar 21 20:21:51 MST 2002

Greetings, folks.

Well, here I am, seriously contemplating upgrading to RH7.2 over the
weekend. Looking through the CDs, I find some things missing. Probably
just cruft on my box, but I wonder about these things. I looked around on
the web, and the RH site, but I couldn't find a list of
"deprecated/replaced" packages. Seems like that would be a reasonable
thing to publish.

I'm also wondering if there is any easy way to get a dump of my kernel
configuration options. I'm assuming that copying .config into the new
kernel tree would work, because it wouldn't match up with new/changed
stuff. Not that there's much in the way of wierdness in my kernel, but not
having to go through my current config and type a bunch of stuff in a text
file, or rely on my brain to remember things would be sorta nice.
Something like a "make report" command.

So, here's my list of "hmmmm" packages. For the most part, it's the lib
stuff, and svgalib I'm concerned about. Any comments? I have a whole
'nother list of stuff I'll probably have to upgrade by downloading.

control-panel
 - replaced by control-center?
glib2 glib2-devel
 - not needed for newer Gnome?
ld.so
 - replaced by what linker, gcc?
libc
modemtool
 - dependent upon pythonlib
 - can't think why I need it
netcfg
 - replaced by netconfig?
 - dependent upon pythonlib
printtool
 - replaced by printconf?
pythonlib
 - no longer used by RH?
 - used by modemtool and netcfg
rgrep
rhs-printfilters
 - bundled with printconf?
svgalib
svgalib-devel
timetool
 - replaced by timeconfig?
tksysv
 - no longer used by control-center?
xpaint
 - so rarely used, I'm not sure I care
xtt-fonts
 - I probably don't need Japanese ;-)

TIA.
jed
--
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it."