[CLUE-Tech] OT: DSL QoS Revisited

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Mar 24 13:16:00 MST 2002

Randy Arabie wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Dave Anselmi wrote:
>
> > I was worried that would cause trouble running a server on my link, but it seems not to.  Haven't tested
> > thoroughly though.
>
> It has not caused any problems with my servers.  I just find it frustrating with I try to ssh in from the outside and can't get in.

You can't get in to your server and you don't call that a problem?  The reason I was worried is that it occurred to me that ISPs may
have a way to prevent you from running a server unless you pay extra for it.

With dialup connections, they drop the link after some period of inactivity (to free up their modems, which is perfectly reasonable).
Traffic from the outside has no way to reestablish the link, so servers are inaccessible unless they take some action to keep the link
up.

If my ISP started dropping my DSL link after inactivity, and only brought it back up when there was outgoing traffic it might cause
similar problems.  Like I said, I haven't tested that specifically but it seems not to be the case.